As I stated at the beginning of my last post, finding the time to slow down in this fast-paced world we live in nowadays can be quite difficult. We’ve all become so used to everything being so instantaneous that it can be frustrating to remember that not everything in the world works that way. Some things just take time. There’s no way to change that.
Think about what your idea of a perfect life would consist of? It sure would be nice if all of those things could become a part of your life instantly, wouldn’t it? But, how long would you wait for them, since everything isn’t always instantaneous? At what point would you stop waiting for something you really want and settle for less?
Over the past week, people have said the following things to me: “I can’t believe how patient you are”, “You’re too chill”, and “Don’t you get sick of waiting?”. I am, without a doubt, the most patient person you will ever meet in your entire life, I guarantee it. I have learned many, MANY times in my life that good things truly do come to those who wait.
Although I am not as extreme as I was when I was younger, I am a very picky person. I know what I want, I know what I like, and I have no interest whatsoever in settling for less. Things happen if and when they’re supposed to happen. If something doesn’t work out, then there’s something better out there for you. Don’t worry about something that didn’t go as planned. It wasn’t meant for you. Just be patient and see what comes your way next.
The problem with trying to force something or trying to make something happen too quickly is that, maybe you’re forcing yourself into something that actually wasn’t meant for you. What if you try to hurry to avoid missing an opportunity, but then you find out later that, in the process, you caused yourself to miss out on something better?
I have written many times before about creating your own happiness. At the beginning of this year, I made the decision to be happy, regardless of what happened in my life. I don’t feel like I am missing out on anything by being patient, because I’m not unhappy. I am an extremely happy, positive person. It takes a lot for something to ruin my mood. I happily enjoy my life every day, and I also remind myself that I am still getting started in my journey. Bigger and better things are in my future. They haven’t quite fallen into place yet, but they’re getting closer with every passing day. I’m not referring to anything specific, I just know that each day is another step in the journey of life and the journey to finding the ultimate happiness.
I want to fall in love and get married someday. I want to start a family. I want to be successful. I want to accomplish great things that have a positive impact in this world that will live on long after I’m gone. I absolutely believe that all of those things will happen… someday. When I look back at my life, I remember all of the things I have wanted through the years. It seemed, at the time, like it would be the end of the world if those things didn’t work out. Well, those things didn’t work out, and yet here I am. I’m still alive and I’m still happy. Those things I wanted in the past that didn’t work out just weren’t meant for me. There’s no point in obsessing over them and wondering what went wrong. Better things are ahead of me.
I have learned a few things in my life that have led to my current happiness:
- Learn from mistakes, don’t regret them. They are just lessons learned.
- Don’t obsess over things that won’t matter a year from now.
- Take chances. You might be surprised what happens as a result.
- If something seems completely crazy, it’s probably a great idea.
- Everything happens for a reason.
- Let things happen when the time is right.
- Try. Give yourself a chance to succeed.
- You are responsible for your own happiness. Others can contribute to it, but don’t let them control it.
- Do what is best for you. The people who matter in your life will support you when you are doing something that really is best for you.
- Cherish the little moments that make you smile.
- Learn to love yourself fully. Be proud of who you are.
- When you love someone, tell them. NEVER waste an opportunity to tell someone you love them. You never know what will happen next in life. Anyone could be taken away from you at any time, and you don’t want to have to wonder if they knew you loved them. I learned this lesson the hard way more than once, and will never let it happen again. Tell them every chance you have. Boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, family member, close friend… it doesn’t matter. If you love them, tell them. Tell them every day.
The things you want in life are out there waiting for you. You will likely find them in the most unexpected ways and at the most unexpected times. But they’re out there. You will find them when the time is right. Until then, enjoy your life. Be you, happily. When the time comes, you will realize it was all well worth the wait. All you need is patience.