Create Your Own Happiness
Not a day goes by where I don’t hear or read complaints from people about all of the negativity in this world. People say they wish this world were more positive, and they’re sick of negativity. Yet, many of them seem to almost go out of their way to find things that will upset them. That just doesn’t make any sense to me. Do people enjoy being upset? I’m starting to think that is the case with a lot of people.
Friends told me for years that I should start blogging, but there were two reasons I finally decided to start.
First of all, I think a lot of my friends started getting annoyed with my ridiculously long posts that took over their news feed on Facebook on a regular basis. I wrote more novel-length posts than I could ever begin to remember throughout the years.
More importantly, I wanted to give people a place where they could read something positive. With all of the negativity in this world, you can never have too many options that involve positivity.
I am a very happy person. I always have been. Just because the world around you may be filled with negativity doesn’t mean that you have to allow it to creep into your life. If you want to avoid the things that upset you, it’s really not that hard to do. There are several ways that I avoid negativity every day. Here are a few of them:
- I very rarely watch or read the news anymore. Drama in the news results in more viewers, so that is why most news stories tend to be negative and dramatic.
- I cut negative people out of my life. Negative people are exhausting to be around. They drain the fun from life. Regardless of who the person is, or how long I have known them, I refuse to let negative people into my life. I don’t let them drag me down.
- I don’t get involved in political debates. I have opinions, but they are my own. I don’t need to share my political views with the whole world. Some people seem to ONLY post about politics on social media, or ONLY want to talk about politics when they start a conversation with someone in person. The ones who tend to be the most vocal are the ones who likely passed their high school government class with a D+, at best. They will never change their mind about what they believe, so it’s pointless to argue with them. Just ignore them and move on with your life.
- I’ve learned to unfollow people on Facebook. I don’t feel the need to unfriend somebody just because we disagree on things. They have every right to share their opinions, and I have every right to decide to still be their friend, but not have to see the things they post constantly.
- I spend my time enjoying the people, places, and things that I love most. Life is short, so why not put yourself in a position to enjoy the things you love most every single day? I have pretty much chosen to live my life in a fantasy world, and I really don’t think there is anything wrong with that. Yes, like everyone else, I do have things in my life that aren’t so fun that I have to deal with, but as often as possible, I allow myself to avoid the things that would drag most people down.
- I try my best every single day to share my happiness with others. When the people around you are happy, then you will tend to be happier. But, there’s no reason why you can’t try to be the reason they are happy. Whenever I interact with someone, whether it’s somebody I know already, or somebody I’m meeting for the first time, I try to find a way to put a smile on their face. Knowing that I could have some kind of positive impact on them makes me happy. I hope they pass that happiness along to others and make somebody else smile.
Stop allowing other people to drag you down. People should build you up. If they don’t, then you don’t need them in your life. Do what is best for you. Don’t rely on others for your happiness. Find people who add to your already happy life. Those are the people you should allow into your life. Take charge of your life and create your own happiness!!